Gender and creation of business
- Project leaders:
- Ignasi Brunet
- Mireia Valverde; Glòria Barberà; Carmen Mañas; Rafael Böcker; Carmen Cincunegui; Ángeles Gil; Ignacio Lerma; Manuela Poveda; Gonzalo Wandosell; Pablo Galindo; Juan Carlos Prior; María José Fuencubierta; Francisco Alberto Vallejo; Ángel Belzunegui; Amado Alarcón; Ignasi Brunet
- Proposed start date:
- Proposed end date:
Funded by Instituto de la Mujer - Ministerio de la Igualdad
This research project adresses the effects of the sexual division of work in the self-employement from an interdisciplinary perspective. About this issue, we wonder to what extend are the inequalities produced in self-employement. The investigation was held in the Mediterranean area of Spain, including four regions: Catalonia, Comunitat Valenciana, Murcia and Andalusia.
The product of the research is available (in Spanish) in the website of Spanis Women Insitute (Insituto de la Mujer).
The research aims to:
- Analyse the previous working and professional career of men and women in order to observe the effects on the creation of business.
- Inquire about the relations between productive and reproductive work and its influence on the creation of business.
- Analyse the effects of the gender variable in the building up of economic and relational capital during the creation and development of entrepreneurial initiatives.
- Analyse the suitability of the gender variable in the institutionals initiatives which support the entrepreneurial initiatives.
Given these general objectives, it is necessary to increase the objectivity of economic, cultural and relational capital of entrepreneurs in the beginning of their business and to what extend these capitals are being developed during their activity. We choose a comparative approach in which we analyse the professional career and the characteristics of ocuppation and work of men and women in sectors which have been identified as "male" or "female" by statistical data and in the society.